Background, fields of specialisation and relevant experience
- Academic and Professional qualifications: Nelia completed a BProc degree at the University of Pretoria and was admitted as an attorney and notary in 1991.
- Respective fields(s) of specialisation: Nelia has extensive experience in the fields of Tax Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Administrative and Constitutional Law litigation and General High Court Litigation.
- Number of years of relevant (post articles) experience: Nelia joined MacRobert Attorneys in 1993 and was appointed as a Director in 1998. Nelia was also appointed as a Director of Mahlangu Inc. She has 25 years of relevant (post articles) experience.
Major Key Clients: Some major clients include SARS (9 years), Telkom (+- 18 years) and Exxaro (previously Iscor - +- 18 years).
Expertise in respective fields of specialisation: She has worked hand in hand with champions of industry including SARS, Telkom, Exxaro, PWC and Alexander Forbes and has represented CEO's in personal and work related matters.
- Tax Law:
- Commercial Law and Company Law:
- Constitutional Law and Administrative Law:
- Insolvency Law:
- General Legal Assistance:
High profile matters: Mahlangu was appointed as the one of the first private attorneys to represent the South African Revenue Service, approximately 10 years ago. Nelia has been involved in major litigation on behalf of SARS for the past 10 years. These have included the renowned King matter as well as the Ponzi scheme, known as the Tannenbaum scheme.
Nelia accompanied and represented SARS in tax related matters in Australia with the Australian Tax Office. She has also successfully represented the ATO in inter alia the ground breaking, recently reported Supreme Court of Appeal matter of M Krok. Reference: Mark Krok and another v CSARS 2015 (6) SA 317 (SCA).
Nelia also acts for the Minister of Public Works and especially defended the well-publicised claims of Nedbank Ltd, pertaining to the sale to a well-known businessman, of the iconic Sanlam Centre in Pretoria City Centre.
Nelia also acted for various role-players in the process leading up to the building of the highly successful Gautrain. She was involved in successfully negotiating the re-routing of a certain portion of the train, resulting in the abandonment of the expropriation of approximately 150 houses in Muckleneuk, Pretoria.
Included in the long list of achievements in the field of litigation, Nelia also successfully represented Alexander Forbes in the Supreme Court of Appeal against the Road Accident Fund.
Right of Appearance in the High Court: She has the right of appearance in the High Court and has appeared in the High Court of South Africa, Gauteng Division
Accessibility: Nelia and/or her associates are available at all hours and for this purpose cell phone numbers are made available to clients. She, and her staff, are able to provide urgent services at all times and the necessary support staff at MacRobert is also available at any time, should the need arise.
Computer Literacy: Nelia, her associates, candidate attorneys and support staff are all highly skilled in computer literacy.
If needed, all information is stored electronically as well as in hard copy and any information and/or documentation can therefore be made available to clients at a moment's notice.
+27 (12) 425 3487