The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment hereby publishes the National Estuarine Management Protocol in terms of Section 33(2) of the NEM:ICMA for implementation.
The purpose of the protocol is to:
- Determine a strategic vision & objectives for achieving effective integrated management of estuaries;
- Set standards for the management of estuaries;
- Establish procedures or provide guidance regarding how estuaries must be managed & how the management responsibilities are to be exercised by different organs of state & other parties;
- Establish minimum requirements for estuarine management plans;
- Identify who must prepare estuarine management plans & the process to be followed in doing so; and
- Specify the process for reviewing estuarine management plans to ensure that they comply with the requirements of the ICM Act.